Carlvin gives us a peek at the publishing side of the industry through his inspiring stories and advice. Hear how he applies his passion for fitness and health to his work, how to be straight up when something falls through the cracks, and his way of explaining campaign optimization. If you're needing a kick of motivation, this episode is for you!
Heads up: I'm on the look out for podcast guests! If you (or someone you work with) have a passion for mentorship and want to record (in person in LA, in Portland November 15-17, or remotely via Skype), hit me up at email@example.com.
- How running a race helped him land a job.
- The difference between working as an Account Manager on the publishing side vs. within an advertising agency.
- His three steps to building strong relationships with clients.
- How to be straight up when something falls through the cracks.
- Explaining campaign optimization through food so we can all understand it.
- How he brings his passion for health and fitness to work (and why he wakes up at 4:45am to work out every morning).
- How to kick start your own exercise habit to feel better and live longer.
- His experience volunteering at the 2016 Olympics in Rio.
“Let’s say you’re going to grill a burger. The basic ground beef is the media plan. Simple steps: you get the ground beef, you form it into a patty, you put it on the George Foreman grill. Boom, plain burger. However, you have three different people at the table. Person A loves their burger to be extremely cheesy. Person B loves their burger to have more meat and a little more spices. Person C loves all the condiments. Optimization is changing something to meet someone’s criteria so they love it even more.”
“[Running] allows me to connect with my advertisers in a much deeper level, and it’s not fake. So if I’m working with a client, and they want to reach a competitive runner, as I’m in a meeting, I can say, hey guys, I’m not putting out statistics and relying on numbers alone to sell them. I’m relying on my personal experience as a track and field collegiate athlete, as well as the numbers to reinforce our message and explain to them why this content makes sense, and why it will resonate with the consumers.”
“If you want something, go and get it. If you’re trying to get it and someone tells you no, but they don’t have the power or authority to tell you yes, their word is meaningless. Go to the person who has the authority to tell you yes, and if they tell you no, then make sure you turn it into a maybe.”
Keep in Touch
- Carlvin's website (social handles included)
Carlvin is a New York City Media professional on an endless journey of fostering meaningful relationships with people around the world. Throughout this journey he has inspired others to achieve greatness by living his WHOLE life to the fullest, one Colgate smile at a time.