Jazmin Burrell, Account Manager at Vox Media and Founder of Lizzie Della Creative Strategies, brings her forward-thinking, entrepreneurial spirit, and advice A-game to the podcast. Hear about the best parts and biggest challenges of working at big name agencies vs. smaller boutique shops (like 72andSunny and Spike DDB), being an account manager at a media/publishing company, why the time is now to "make your own table," and remembering to look at the larger picture.
- Falling in love with advertising after a visit to VML, taking baby steps towards account management at a creative agency, and focusing on the end goal vs. a title.
- A detailed breakdown of the best parts and biggest challenges of working at big name agencies and smaller boutique creative shops (like 72andSunny and Spike DDB).
- Being an account manager at a media/publishing company, which skills from her agency experience she applies to her role at Vox, and being forward-thinking about where the industry is going.
- Getting pigeon-holed into being the person of color in the office, the challenges of young multicultural talent, and why now is the time to “make your own table”.
- Her clients at Lizzie Della Strategies (including BET), and the brand marketing and strategy services they provide.
- Why she still has faith in advertising, and remembering to look at the larger picture as you start your career.
“When you’re at these creative agencies, it’s really easy to get caught up in the aesthetics of it, and the perks of it, and the nameliness. But you have to look at the landscape, and the landscape is changing so much. […] Being on the publisher side now, you see the capabilities that these companies have, and you see that these agencies are trying to follow suit.”
“My value is more than just being a black woman talking about black woman things. I am also a first generation college student, I am also from the middle of the country, I am also a Millennial. There are more things to my identity than what you think your target audience is.”
“There’s no better time than the present to make a table for everybody, and figure out what your niche is, and get people that have that same vision as you to make things happen.”
Keep in Touch
- Jazmin on LinkedIn
Jazmin Burrell is the founder and Chief Creative Strategist of Lizzie Della Creative Strategies. Jazmin is a Kansas Citian based in New York City. Since earning her Bachelors in Strategic Communication from the University of Missouri-Columbia, she's worked on some of the world's most recognizable campaigns from clients such as AT&T, Diageo, General Motors and Google. Currently, she's earning her Master's from Syracuse University and is an Account Manager at Vox Media. She is the self-appointed Godmother of North, Saint and Chicago West.