Jiah Choi, Partner and CEO of Anomaly LA, brings us an epic episode full of wisdom and real talk from her experience on both the agency and client-side. Hear about how to be a leader when just starting out, working at Coca-Cola and why being a client is nothing like you think it is, where the industry is headed, and why you shouldn't be afraid of what makes you different.
Heads up: To help you navigate your summer internship, get hired, and be more comfortable and confident overall, here's our best advice for interns in one place: The We Are Next Internship Guide Vol. 1. You got this!
- Why starting in account management or being a receptionist at an agency is a good route if you don’t know what role is right for you.
- Putting yourself in the shoes of the client so that your recommendations come from an honest place.
- Her definition of leadership and how to be a leader even as junior talent.
- Going client-side at Coca-Cola, why being a client is nothing like you think it is, and crushing what’s in front of you instead of worrying about what’s next.
- Where the industry is going, how that should influence your choice of agency, and why Anomaly was named an agency on the cutting edge.
- Why we shouldn’t be afraid of what makes you different, finding mentors to learn from, and other lessons from being a female CEO.
- Why she’s optimistic and excited about the diversity conversation in the industry.
“The bad account person is just doing what the client wants, as opposed to really learning about their business and their business challenges, and then looking at it from the perspective of, ‘If that was my hard earned money, what would I want to do?’ And to me, thats the best kind of recommendations you can give them, because it comes from a really honest place. […] Your recommendations are way different than being driven by, ‘We have to win creative awards or we have to bring in revenue.’”
“Leadership isn’t about authority or being bossy or being in charge necessarily. But it is about giving people the confidence to do something they've never done, that clients have never done.”
“Whatever opportunity comes in front of you, if you think it’s the right opportunity, dive right in right away, and just crush that. Because that will inevitably lead to opportunities that you probably didn’t even think about.”
“Don’t be afraid of what makes you different. Own it. Because you can only be you. Most people I know who are massively successful and happy with what they do, it’s because they’re incredibly unapologetic about being who they are.”
Keep in Touch
With over 20 years of marketing experience on iconic global brands on the agency and client side, Jiah has a proven track record of reinvigorating brands to help drive business growth. Prior to joining Anomaly, she spent some time on the client side at The Coca-Cola Company as well as leading award-winning accounts at TBWA\Chiat\Day and 180LA. After spending some time in Atlanta and New York, she's currently enjoying the palm trees and sunshine in Los Angeles. An avid dog lover who geeks out on pop culture, food and travel, Jiah is proud to see her hometown of LA finally having its moment.